Thursday, May 21, 2009
When in Rome
Well I made it to Italy! It was quite the adventure. My plane first came into Milan last night and I was going to spend the night at a hostel there but when I got in I figured out that it would take an hour to get to the hostel and cost about 20 Euro's so I decided to just hang out at the airport since I would be coing right back there in the morning anyways. I wasn't the only one that had that plan. I think my flight was one of the last to come in that night but there were tons of people camping out with sleeping bags and everything for the night. At about 3:30 AM the security gaurds made us all move to another part of the airport but otherwise it wasn't too bad. I've had this problem with being cold in England at night, not a problem here in Italy. It's been around 80 during the day and mid 70's at night, I think. Anyways I got in to Rome today and found my hostel here and dropped off my bag then spent the rest of teh day touring around. I first went to the Roman history museum which had lots of marbel Roman sculptures and a few bronze as well. There was also some ancient Roman art there too. The real impressive thing about all of the stuff there is that most of it is nearly 2,000 years old! After the museum I headed over to the Colliseum or "Colloseo". and just before going in got sucked in to a tour group which actually turned out to be pretty good. I'm debating going on a tour tomorrow for the Vatican, it's expensive but I think it may be worth it. Oh one thing I've noticed about Rome is that there is a lot of graffiti here. The metro especially is just covered with it. I'll try to get a picture while i'm here. I learned a lot about the Colliseum from the tour, I'd reccomend it if you ever come here. After the Colliseum I walked through the Palatine Hill with a guide there as well. I got lots of pictures but I think I'll hold off posting them as my laptop battery has to last this whole Roman trip. Next I headed back towards the Colliseum to get some dinner. It's kind of fun ordering off an Italian menu with little to no English and having Italian waiters. While eating we had an accordian player serenade us, very good Italian atmosphere. After dinner I just headed home and am now here at my hostel. Sleeping in a hostel is a different experience. I'm in a room with 9 other people this time and as before it's a coed dorm. It seems safe and clean though which is all that matters to me. Well I think that's it for tonight. I'm going to try to make the Vatican tomorrrow and I'll let you know all about it. Goodnight!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment